Merchant Navy Exam Syllabus: Knowledge of the Merchant Navy syllabus and exam pattern is very important for the candidates appearing for the exam. The subjects of the IMU CET exam are Physics, Chemistry, Maths, General knowledge, English, and Aptitude. Candidates appearing for the exam must go to the official website to download the syllabus.
IMU CET is conducted as a computer-based online test and the questions are objective type with multiple choice answers. Candidates selected in IMU CET will be eligible for career options in Merchant Navy as Officers or Ratings.
Merchant Navy Subject Wise Syllabus
It is very important to know the IMU CET Exam pattern before candidates start preparing for the exams. The exam pattern will determine the total number of questions,
Knowledge of the is very important for aspiring students. Marks allotted to each question, weightage of each section, and negative marking scheme (if any). After becoming familiar with the exam pattern, candidates can start studying the subjects of the Merchant Navy syllabus 2022.
Merchant Navy English Exam Syllabus
- Antonyms and Synonyms
- Phrasal verbs
- Parts of Speech
Merchant Navy Mathematics Paper Syllabus
Merchant Navy Exam Syllabus for all the Subjects:
- Ratio and proportion
- Basic Trigonometry
- Loss and Percentage
- Simultaneous equations
- Measures of Central Tendency
- Work, time, speed and Distance
- Algebraic identities
- Mathematical simplification
Merchant Navy Science Exam Pattern
- Nature of matter
- Newton’s Laws of motion
- Electricity and its applications
- Work, energy, and Power
- Carbon and its compounds
- Force and Gravitation
- Sound and wave motion
- Heat, temperature, metals, and nonmetals
- Universe (Planets, earth, satellites, and sun)
- Measurements in Science
Merchant Navy General Aptitude Paper Syllabus
- Critical Reasoning
- Structural analysis
- Time and work
- Time and Distance
- Work and Distance
- Logic-based questions (Syllogism)
- Odd man out
- Numerical computation
- Numerical estimation
- Calendar and clocks
- Analytical reasoning
- Logical reasoning
- Mechanical Reasoning
- Abstract reasoning
- Fault Diagnosis
- Data interpretation
Popular subjects of the Merchant Navy exam syllabus
- Shipping Management
- Naval Architecture
- Principles of navigation
- Electrical machines
- Mechanics of fluids
- Marine Auxiliary machines
- Nautical Physics and Electronics
- Marine Machines and System Design
- Marine Boiler and System Engineering
- Environmental Science
- Marine Heat Engines and Air Conditioning
- Marine Electrical Technology
- Ship Operational Technology
- STCW and Ship Fire prevention
- Maritime Law
Merchant Navy Entrance exams
Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test (IMU CET)
The Indian Maritime University conducts the Common Entrance test for admission to the different courses. The admission is for the undergraduate and postgraduate courses in IMU CET. Only bachelors can apply for the tests. The Registration of the Common entrance test begins in the month of March and the exams take place in the month of May(tentative).
All India Merchant Navy Entrance Test (AIMNET)
The Ministry of Corporate Affairs, Government of India approves the AIMNET exams and it is managed by the Offshore Shipping Academy. The AIMNET exams are meant for candidates who are interested in joining any of the following courses:
- B.Tech Naval Architecture
- B.Sc Nautical Science
- BTech Marine Engineering
- Diploma of Applied Science
- MBA (Shipping and Logistics Management)
- JEE (Advanced)
Candidates who want to apply for the technical courses in Merchant Navy must clear the JEE Advanced exams. The exams are held in the months of June and July every year and are subject to change depending upon the circumstances. Only those candidates who have cleared the JEE Mains exam are eligible to appear for the JEE (Advanced) exams.
TMISAT and Merchant Navy Entrance exams
These exams take place in the month of May every year. The timing of the exams is subject to change depending upon the circumstances.
Top Maritime Institutes in India
- Samundra Institute of Maritime studies- Mumbai
- Maharashtra Academy of Naval Education and Training(MANET), Pune
- B.P Marine Academy, Navi Mumbai
- Indian Maritime University, Chennai
- Vels Academy of Maritime Studies, Chennai
- Coimbatore Marine College, Coimbatore
- Institute of Technology and Marine Engineering, Kolkata
- Academy of Maritime Education and Training University, Kanchipuram
- Vishwakarma Maritime Institute, Pune
- International Maritime Institute, Noida
- T S Rahaman, Mumbai
How to prepare for the Merchant Navy exams
Merchant navy is one of the promising career options and students preparing for it must complete the syllabus with full dedication. Students who work hard for the IMU CET exams will be selected for their desired course in the Merchant Navy.
The following set of guidelines are for the aspiring candidates preparing for the Merchant Navy exam syllabus:
- Study all the topics of the syllabus thoroughly and do not leave out any section.
- Make notes of the important sections while studying. Learn the formulas properly and revise them regularly.
- Understand the concepts of Physics and Mathematics and practice as many questions as you can.
- Practice numerical problems regularly and learn to create tables, charts, and graphs properly.
- Know the question pattern, distribution of marks, and marking scheme from previous years' question papers. Solve as many sample papers as you can for better exam preparation.
- Make a timetable for the Merchant Navy exams and study the subjects according to the timetable.
- Make short notes of the difficult topics and revise those topics. These notes will help in a quick recap during the last-minute exam preparation.
Tips and Tricks for Merchant Navy Exam Syllabus Preparations
- Check the official website of the Merchant Navy regularly for the latest exam updates.
- Prepare all the topics thoroughly so that you can answer even the tricky questions.
- Solve sample papers of previous years.
- Prepare the difficult topics in the beginning and do not leave these topics for the last minute.
- Appear for mock tests to gain exam-related confidence.
Books for the Merchant Navy Entrance Exam
- Join Merchant Navy- Sponsorship Guide
- IMU CET Exam Full Package
- Merchant Navy Entrance Exam Guide
- Join Merchant Navy- Sponsorship Guide
- IMU CET Guide and Sponsorship Test- Gateway to enter Merchant Navy
- GP Rating Entrance Exam Guide